Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baby {aka Spring} come back!

Where in the WORLD did Spring go?  I have been waiting with eager anticipation for the beautiful spring we usually enjoy here in NC.  We had a few days of loveliness and now… 90 plus degrees temp and POLLEN.  Everything looks like it’s covered in yellow chalk dust.   I don’t think I’ve ever seen it quite this bad. And I somehow feel responsible – like I wasn’t appreciating it enough or enjoying it enough.  Or working too much.  Taking it for granted.  Not nurturing our relationship.  I promise I’ll do better.  I promise.  I’ll hire a sitter, we’ll spend time together – just you and me.  I’ll bring the camera.  We’ll commune.  I’m on my knees.  {well, not literally on my knees because they would be yellow. But you get my sincerity, right?}  Just no more chalk dust and oven-like temps.

Amidst the yellow plumes and unpleasant air, we were still able to enjoy a wonderful Easter weekend outdoors.  Friday morning, we headed down to our family farm in Benson, NC.  {A little trivia – my mother-in-law was Miss Benson back in the day.  Sometimes we get out our tiaras and promenade ;-)}   I love this farm where her family lived, where she was born, in fact.  I love the little farm house whose ceiling is so low that I feel quite tall in there.  I love the worn, textured wood on the front porch.  And the sweet white corn from its fields!  There is a peacefulness about this place that is almost reverent.  And a “million-dollar breeze” Grandma Ivey would say.  We had a perfect day with the family!  Cammie rode the 4 wheeler with Gaga (yes – her grandmother took her out!) and her daddy, while Brody and I enjoyed swinging by the barn.  A yummy lunch followed by the first of several Egg Hunts.  I couldn’t help myself.  I think I took :gasp: like 500 pictures.  Spring has stirred in me that longing to have my camera surgically attached.  I can’t get enough!  Here are a few highlights from the day Friday:

And Sunday we all went over to my brother’s house for a de-lish dinner, some egg decorating and another hunt.  I heart family meals.  First off – the men in my family- can cook some meat – let me tell you.  My mom’s broccoli casserole, deviled eggs, and my contribution: a Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.  Have mercy.  {And curse my brother for not reminding me to take the left-over pieces home.  Curse him!}  But if I’m being honest – I had already had too many of my Easter favorites:  Cadberry Mini Eggs, Hershey Eggs, Russell Stover’s Easter Bunny, Peeps, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs, all courtesy of my mom.  Yes, my mama still makes her kids Easter Baskets.  She’s the best.  And I think I need to go to some facility somewhere and detox to get the sugar out of my system.  Here are some highlights from Sunday:

Yep- it was a good holiday!  When I was with my parents picking up food on the Saturday before Easter, the cashier told me “Happy Resurrection,” as we were leaving.  I crinkled my nose – as I’m known to do, and mentioned I thought that was an odd thing to say.  If Cammie had heard her, she would have loved it.  She’s really been into talking about the concept of Resurrection, with all the deaths we’ve experienced lately.  I love to hear her express her sweet faith that we will see our loved ones again.  We had a dear friend, Catie, whom we had been praying for, for several years pass away in February.  I guess Cammie gets into the routine of our “list” of friends and loved ones we pray for, and shortly after Catie’s death, she was praying to bless Mary’s mommy (Catie’s daughter, Mary, is Cammie’s friend).  She paused because she realized that wasn’t necessary anymore, and to “save” the prayer, she completed her statement with - “that she might be resurrected,” and then expressed a desire that her family wouldn’t be sad but would feel peace.  It’s times like these, that you realize, you must be doing something right as a parent.  And as I pondered about Mary’s family, I think the cashier may have something there. The Resurrection will most definitely be a happy experience.  I’m very grateful for my Savior this Easter season!

1 comments:

peaceliving said...

I love how you have the grid of photos then the link to the full album. That is so cool! I'll have to check out that link to see how you did it.
Linn

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails